Tuesday 22 February 2011

Paintings in Progress - Suffolk Art on The Prom

As promised yesterday, I have uploaded a few images of my latest work...

Last night after work I was very tired and also went to the cinema, I had slightly 'back tracked' with my painting in the evening, however I managed to get around 45 minutes in before my eyes started to tire.

From the last image I uploaded of the dog portrait, I had started to paint the background in a very sharp and (in my opinion) 'non belivevable' green.  So I headed down to the local art shop to buy an array of green tones....

Previous (photo)


Current (scan)

I washed out the previous colour very carefully (you can still see remnants of the old green around the edge).  I then continued to do a 'light wash' with the colour I now prefer. Now it is time for the hard work, to create a soft gradient surrounding the subject. I also want to drop a lightly textured effect into the background, (see right side) I think I will still need another 2 - 3 hours on the background alone. Then I will begin to paint 'Smartie'.

Lee (scan)

The portrait miniature I had also started to paint of Lee is now on hold, sometimes you can become so engrossed into a painting that your vision and truth of the image becomes blurred. I will leave it for around 2 more weeks before I resume painting... As I am now starting to see adjustments needed on the portrait, whereas before I didn't. I think this portrait needs around 6 more hours.

On another note I have been trying to get images ready for 'Art on the Prom' - Felixstowe, Suffolk.  This isn't until Sunday 4th September. But last year I sold all my illustrations within a couple of hours and didn't have anything left on show!!  Not good.  This year I hope to have plenty of back up and stock.

Here are a couple of pictures I sent to the 'Art on the Prom' website as a taster (I will also be painting a portrait miniature on the day);

Ipswich University Gate - cut paper and pen
(Henry VIII had university destroyed)

Ice Scream - Ipswich - poster paints and pen
Reminds me of Summer

I have no final message for the day, except from, smelling chips and burgers at 9am on the way to work, is not too pleasant!

2 comments:

  1. Comments hey? Well having zero artistic skill doesn't qualify me for much. But I love your styles. The miniatures are very cool! You need glasses yet? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Nigel,

    Thank you, thats very kind of you to say. I don't 'need' glasses just yet, but sometimes I put reading glasses on whilst painting miniatures because I don't want to strain my eyes.

    Thanks for reading my blog :)

    ReplyDelete