Friday 4 March 2011

Brief Portrait Update and Old Illustration for Magazine

As promised very very brief update...

Last night I managed to paint for around 25-30 minutes, around the nose, slight shading to the neck and a few more orange tones to the ears...




Whilst going through my old scan folder on the computer a few days ago I also found this...


After leaving University and told that my art held 'no substance', I had a desire to prove them wrong. I approached many illustration agencies and magazines and managed to draw an illustration for a magazine based in America. It was only a small job, with no fee, but it made me happy.  It is by no means anything amazing! But it was how I used to draw, as I was stuck in my mind drawing a certain style to please the people around me (ie - Tutors) and not how I felt fit as an artist at that time.

After finding some of my illustrations recently I have come to realise, that as much as I enjoy drawing in a 'fashionable' illustrated way for my own eyes, I don't actually like it anymore, I was so deterred by my tutors, that my work had no style or 'story' to it, that it totally transformed my view on art... But to them I suppose I should be grateful, because without their 'blunt' comments, it made me discover true art and skill - portrait miniature painting :) After all, drawing like a 5 year old within the illustration world will only get you so far...

So on that note, I am happy to paint much this weekend, sitting in my cosy studio, doing what I love best.

Have a great weekend and thank you for reading :)

No comments:

Post a Comment